Old 25-07-2004, 06:02 AM
how

Default a challenge for the rec.ponds experts

"volts500" wrote in message
. ..

"Ka30P" wrote in message

Okay people, I've got a challenge for you!
snip

Bio/mechanical filter DE filter carbon filter veggie filter and a
couple of Ple*cos. Careful with the carbon filter, though, as I'm sure you
know, as most need to be introduced gradually, maybe one hour the first

day,
3 hours the 2nd day, 6 hours the 3rd day... Some people say that Ple*cos
will attach to the sides of the other fish. I've seen this happen once in
an aquarium, possibily because the Ple*co had nothing to eat? So.... I
don't introduce the Ple*cos until the algae starts growing on the sides of
the pond.

Hi,
Forget the plecostomus (me superstitious? no) they will not keep the sides
clean. They will eat the food you feed the other fish. They will die when
the water is 55/50 degrees F and are very hard to catch to bring in for the
winter. Personally have never seen one sucking on another fish but others
have observed this. IMO they are useless in a pond, not the least bit cute
and hard to handle. LFS that sell them as 'a must' for ponds are to be
avoided.
Any citations on gradual introduction of carbon filtration? Most ponders
would not like the expense of keeping enough activated carbon in their
ponds.
L8R -_- how
no NEWS is good