Old 27-07-2004, 08:48 AM
Warren

Default Virus Warning

sherwindu wrote:
I was under the naive impression that these newsgroup forums were

monitored by
a group moderator whose duties included removing viruses, spam, etc.

I protect
my emails with programs that look at messages on my server before I

download
them to my computer. I do not have such a recourse with the newsgroup

messages.
It's very scary to use the newsgroups, even though I am protected

every way I know
how.

Very few newsgroups are moderated. Maybe a hundred out of a few thousand
groups. This isn't one of them. (Nearly all that are moderated have the
word moderated in the title.) However, just because a group is moderated
doesn't make it any safer. It's easy enough to fake the headers that
authorize the release of a message. (Yes, it's against the rules, but so
is distributing viruses.)

It's not hard to protect yourself. Number one on the list is don't open
any attached files. There is no legitimate reason for anyone to post a
file in a non-binary newsgroup such as this one.
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens is available for that. If you're nervous
about how safe it is, don't go to that group. (Many ISP's will either
strip the attachment off of posts to non-binary groups, or they'll
simply drop the posting all together.)

Second, don't follow links to unsafe websites. A link (supposedly) to a
story about Sadam hanging himself is probably not safe if it's posted in
a gardening newsgroup. So what about a link to something garden-related?
It may or may not be a safe site. Look at who's posting it. Is it a
regular poster to the group? Is there content in their message other
than just an invite to the link? Have others commented on the link? Does
the site name look okay?

Worried that the link doesn't go where it says it goes? Well, that isn't
a problem in a plain text message, which is one of the many reasons why
people prefer newsgroup messages to be in plain text instead of html. If
the post isn't plain text, but formatted html, it might go someplace
other than what the text shows. Instead of clicking on the link, copy
the link, and paste it in your browser. Then you'll go where it says,
not to some hidden link under it.

Lastly, most newsreaders have an option to only download headers. The
messages are only downloaded if you click on the header. Be judicious in
which posts you read. Evaluate whether or not you view the message by
looking at the subject line, who posted it, and the size of the message
(as in, is it so big that it must have an attachment.)

Just following these common sense guidelines will keep you safe. I have
been reading newsgroups for over a decade now, and I have never had a
problem. I scan about two dozen newsgroups a day, some are binary
groups, too. I probably look at two hundred messages a day. I pass over
far more than I read. Having worked for some ISP's and other technology
companies, I have the skills to deal with things that could go wrong
better than most, but I'm sure you'll find that many of the
non-technical people who read this group can give you similar stories of
never having a problem. Good judgment and technical skills are not
synonymous.

You lock the doors of your house. You keep your car doors locked. You
don't walk in deserted areas at night. Unless you're agoraphobic, you
leave your house each day, and use good judgment that has allowed you to
come home unharmed nearly every day of your life. Yes, there are plenty
of things out there that can harm you, and it's possible that no matter
how careful you are, something will. But that doesn't keep you from
going out, and living your life. Likewise, use good judgment online, and
live your online life. Don't let fear keep you from the rich content
that is available in many of the thousands of newsgroups.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Books for the Pacific Northwest gardener:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/nwgardener/index.html