Old 26-07-2004, 03:45 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Default [IBC] sudden increase of leaf loss of our fukien tree

I'll second the suggestion of purchasing a really good bonsai book OR pot, soil & plant (at a nursery or garden center). It is much more satisfying to take a nursery tree and turn it into a "bonsai" on your own. Especially, since you can probably do just as good a job as anything you are likely to get for a reasonable price on e-Bay. If you REALLY want one already done, I'll second the recommendation to visit Mr. Valvanis' location in Rochester. You'll pay a little more, but you'll get good material. If you have no place to put plants outside, you are pretty limited in what will do well. Being a novice myself, I would recommend: Serrisa (although lots of folks would disagree with that one!) or some variety of Ficus (I personally like Green Island, but an authority on bonsai that lives in this same area swears by Nerifolia for indoors in the NE). I think Billy has sufficiently explained the requirements for light, air movement and humidity.

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++