Old 26-07-2004, 10:49 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Root growing from cuttings

In a message dated 7/26/2004 2:48:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

I'm having trouble growing roots from hardwood cuttings. I bought a gel
root stimulator and dipped the cuttings in it and put them in a growing
medium. I kept them moist but they haven't grown any roots and the've dried
out and blackened. Should I leave cuttings in the gel for 24 hours and then
put them in dirt?..or what should I do? Also, which root stimulators are
better, the liquid ones or powder ones?

I have never used anything but the powders. I don't always have
success. Some species are VERY (impossible) difficult from cuttings. Others are
very dependent on the type of cutting, time of year and a number of other
variables for success. If you are serious about rooting a particular species
research it on the Internet to determine the best circumstances for rooting cuttings.
Many state colleges of agriculture have web sites with this kind of
information. For a start try
www.ifas.uf.edu

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention July 1 - 4, 2005 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Workshops with Jerry Meislik of Whitefish, Montana, Chase Rosade of New Hope,
PA, and Ben Oki of California.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++