Old 31-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Mike LaMana

Default Bugs in a black oak

Toller - that tree looks for all the world like a Norway maple in the photo,
but I could well be wrong.
The stains on the bark of the tree, again, look like the symptoms of
Verticillium wilt - a fungal disease of trees and plants that attacks
through roots and them causes clogging of the vascular system - it is found
in trees in forest and landscape setting alike.. My expert opinion (chuckle)
is that it was caused by drought or some other stress to the root system
like construction, landslide, re-grading, altered drainage, overfill.

The good news is that trees can persist a long time with this disease. I
would try a moderate N-P-K fertilization and aggressive monitoring of the
irrigation - not too wet nor too dry.

Post a photo of the leaves, my curiosity is killing me now.
Good Luck! Mike

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

"toller" wrote in message
The holes/ooze are shown in
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/Tree1.jpg
The area shown is about 8" across. In other areas there are more distinct
holes, but this was the best ooze. We have had a lot of rain lately, so

it
is a bit cleaner than usual.
The entire tree is shown in
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/Tree2.jpg
It is rooted in a shale cliff, goes down about 2' and then back up. At

it's
lowest, it is about 4' above the lake surface.

It is an oak with pointy leaves, so I am calling it a black oak; don't

know
what it really is. The woods above it are primarily oak and sugar maple.
Your help on this is sincerely appreciated.

"Mike LaMana" fake@MikeatHeartwoodConsultingdotnet wrote in message
The oozy holes you describe sure sound the manifestation of Verticillium
wilt in oak trees, but could be any number of other things. The bugs you
describe in the tree (an pic thereof) are moths, probably gypsy moth or

the
ilk. They are adventitious and not causative.

The tree sounds sick, and once a tree gets sick, opportunists in the

(urban)
forest will find it.

IME black oak are not long lived in our area, relative to, say, red or
certainly white or chestnut oaks,

Can you post pics of the ooze and holes??

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC
Toms River, NJ
www.HeartwoodConsulting.net

"toller" wrote in message
Maybe there is a better group for this, but I couldn't find it.

I have a large black oak tree by the edge of a lake in Rochester NY.

Each
spring it develops holes that drip goopy brown stuff. Presumably it is

an
insect infestation. Naturally I am looking for a solution, as I would

hate
to lose the tree. There is a lot of dead wood on it, but it leafs out
normally every year and doesn't "seem" to be getting any worse.

Last week there was a bad windstorm that brought down some of the

deadwood.
Inside was
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/bugs.jpg
I don't know if these are the problem or just something that took up
residence in the deadwood, but it might be a good start.
Any idea what this is, and how it can be treated? (or is there a more
appropriate group to try?)

Thanks.