Old 31-07-2004, 12:24 PM
Dr.

Default Tomato varieties.

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
"Dr." wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions.

I may try the 4th of July next year in addtion the Sweet Millions. As you
mentioned with the 100s, it can be difficult to pick the ripe ones

without
knocking off the green ones. .

I wanted to try Sweet Millions but I was very disorganized at the
start of the year and did a horrendous job on getting seeds and
starting my seedlings. Better next year!

I think Sweet Millions is a good variety. I haven't had Sweet 100, though
they're supposed to taste about the same. Millions is supposed to have
better disease resistance and more resistance to cracking than the 100. I
don't have much problem with cracking on my Millions planted in the ground.
I put one in a container last year and had cracking on that plant though.

I may try the Health Kick as a potted plant, since you're having good

luck
with yours. I tried conainer varieties the two previous years, but they

did
poorly. Thin foliage, which was causing some sun scald. I probably wasn't
getting the watering just right. My peppers, on the other hand, love the
containers.

I've had very decent production with peppers in plants too. There are
some products I rely on with containers:
Terrasorb - a potassium crystal/gel that holds water. They last
3-5 years then break down into potassium.
Hydromats - I call them "plant diapers". You line the bottom of
the pot with them. They hold water and the roots even
grow into them some. Extends the moisture holding.
I've given up on clay pots--dries out too fast for me. Needs to much
attention. Self watering are nice but expensive during the heat spells

I'll look around for the Terrasorb and Hydromats. I don't have a very large
garden area, so I put what I can in containers. With those products, maybe
I'll have better luck with potted tomatoes.

Healthy Kick isn't meant as a container variety. I just didn't have
the heart to kill off the seedlings once they started. They were the
healthiest of the May seedings. I had this round bowl planter, 9-10"
round, 5 inch deep. I stuck them in there since I wasn't using it.
Because it is shallow it dries out pretty quick. I water it deeply
twice a day on warm days. The plants just grew admirably. Last year's
were remarkable--in size and crop. I'm thinking the variety is just a
good strong one.

Well, it sure looks to be doing good. As long as it continues to do so, I'd
just leave it in that bowl. I'll probably add that one to the garden next
year, in a container. I'll probably keep all the determinates in containers.

here you can see the shallow pot they are in but much of the growth
and tomatoes are obscured.
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfraz...&.dnm=50e6.jpg
Here you see better how it has grown--only 10-12 weeks from seed.

http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfraz...a2.jpg&.src=ph

Good luck with the low carbing. I dropped 40 pounds on low carb.

That's great. I'm down 70-75 pounds and on maintenance for the rest of
the summer to enjoy my harvest!

That's when I broke down a little last year. I'm not following any regimen
anymore, but I still do my best to avoid excess amounts of high carb foods.
All summer I'll be binging on tomatoes and peppers.

Gary

Gary
NorthWest Ohio

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)