Old 31-07-2004, 01:01 PM
George

Default Help Construction=Dirty water!

"GoldLexus" wrote in message
Our pond has been reasonably clear until this week when construction started
up on the hill behind us. Anyone have and suggestions? OR are we out of luck
until construction is over (in about 4 years!)? The pond tries to clear up
at night, we are able to see the fish at least by the morning but once
construction starts up the water is so bad you can't see the fish unless
they are really close to the surface. GRRRR I hate progress! If anyone can
suggest how we can get it at least a little bit clearer I would be forever
grateful.
Thanks!
btw. We have an activated charcoal filter....we rinse the filter (3 bags of
charcoal) only once a season (we use a different pump/filter for winter)
would cleaning the filter help? Are we suppose to replace the charcoal after
a period of time or is rinsing it all we need to do? This is an inherited
pond so we are learning how to care for it.

In most states construiction crews are required to erect silt fences to prevent
blowing dust from affecting nearby streams and/or proproties. If this has not
been done, and you have a dust problem related to a construction site, I would
recommend that you contact the consultant on the project and complain about it.
If you do not get a satisfactory resolution, then you should contact your state
environmental protection agency and file a formal complaint. The expressway near
my home is undergoing a $300 million renovation which should last until the end
of next year. The construction company has erected silt fences to prevent dust
from blowing into our neighborhood. It apears to be fairly effective, because
we don't see a lot of dust resulting from the construction work.