Old 31-07-2004, 09:43 PM
Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat

Default Garden abutting BR land and "fly tipping".

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 14:57:27 +0100, "Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat"
wrote:

Thoughts or similar experiences ?

This might sound a little complex but that's how the railways are these
days.

I expected a convolulted vagary filled answer, don't worry. ;-)

From your post you appear to be very close to a station as opposed
to just backing onto a railway line between stations.

Yus, I am close to a station as you say.

If this is the
case then it is *possible* that the land where the tree is *could* be
leased to the train company that leases the station. If that is not the
case then it will definitely be down to Network Rail to maintain the
embankment, fencing and vegetation that backs onto your garden.

I'd enquire at the station and get the head office address for the train
company and also the appropriate local section of Network Rail. I'd then
write to or E Mail them and ask them to either consent to you doing what
you need to do to the tree or require them to attend to the tree. As we
are nearing Autumn and the leaf fall season you can guarantee that
planning is underway to deal with the leaves, branches and twigs that
mother nature will dump on the ground / rails. Therefore it is an
opportune moment to "piggy back" on other work that Network Rail will be
doing to control vegetation and leaf fall.

www.networkrail.co.uk
http://nrekb.com/toc_list.html has the links to all the train companies
websites for contact details.

Very useful thanks - though I have spent the evening with my bf lopping said
tree - however, only where it overhangs which isn't really doing the job as
when the tree gets used to it's new form or there's a strong wind it'll end
up lurching over the garden again, so we've just done a temporary fix. I do
have another big pile of kindling for the winter out of it though. Those
details you gave will no doubt be useful for next time.

I've lived here five years and I can't recall anyone from any rail body ever
doing anything to any of the vegetation in that tract of land - it seems to
just die off seasonally and get left to it's own devices. Although there are
a number of much larger trees in the land that overhang other properties.
Perhaps I'll ask the house owners if they have ever been attended to, but
from the way I've seen them get taller and bushier in the time I've lived
here I suspect not.

Having said that, no body such as network rail or any big company is ever
going to do anything about something if they don't have to, so I guess if
you don't ask you don't get.

Rachael