Old 31-07-2004, 02:32 PM
Mary McHugh

Default Slow ripening

Ken Anderson wrote:
There was some mention at the poker table last night about how the tomatoes
around here look good, but aren't ripening. I mean, mine are still green
without a trace of orange yet. Anyone else noticing a slow ripening of
tomatoes this year? I'm in northern Ohio.

I've been pulling in tomatoes onesie-twosie since mid-July. Today I
have about 8 or 10 that I picked. This is much earlier than last year
which was cooler and wetter than this summer (if you can believe that!).

After reporting disappointing growth for my eggplant, about 60% of them
suddenly started growing and now they're starting to produce too, even
if the fruit is somewhat small. My peppers and chiles are fantastic. I
have some red cayenne and the golden summers are just LOADED with peppers.

I'm in southwestern CT (zone 6).

Mary