Old 31-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

Default Tomato varieties.

In article ,
"Dr." wrote:

Greetings,

Not all my varieties are even ripe... yet still I'm planning what to grow
next year.

What are your favorite early varieties? I grew a variety named 'Glacier'
this year. Nice looking tomatoes, but no flavor whatsoever.

I really like Stupice. I usually order the seeds from Cooks Garden.
We've had good luck with it here near foggy SF so short season tomatoes
work best for us.

Next year I'd like to try a yellow variety, and a black/purple variety. Any
suggestions?

I agree with the person who suggested Black Krim. It is very tasty.
Usually for yellows I grow yellow pear or cherry tomatoes. I haven't
grown too many slicers.

We also really like Pineapple - it's a yellow/red mottled tomato and is
one of my favorites to eat.

Green Zebra is also a big favorite with us.

You might enjoy browsing the variety of tomato seeds at
www.tomatofest.com Just scroll down towards the bottom of the home page
for the link to "tomato seeds". He gives a pretty good description of
the tomatoes and sells seeds for 450 varieties. You can also browse by
tomato color, so maybe you'll get some good leads on yellow or
black/purple that way.

marcella