Old 01-08-2004, 03:49 AM
Christopher Green

Default Jalapenos not hot

(Gary) wrote in message . com...
"Jim Carlock" wrote in message om...
Is it true that Jalapeno's can cross breed with belle peppers?

--
Jim Carlock

I would think that if they did cross-polinate, the results would be
seen in the next generation, i.e. in next year's crop that comes from
the seeds from this year's peppers. I'm a far cry from a botanist, so
don't quote me on this.
Gary

That's right, and this is well known to pepper growers. Of the five
commercial species of Capsicum, all but C. pubescens (Andean "apple
chiles") will cross-pollinate, and all of the many varieties of C.
annuum and C.chinense will cross-pollinate especially easily.

If you want seed that will come true in the next crop, you need to
resort to measures such as bagging.

--
Chris Green