Old 01-08-2004, 09:49 AM
Kay

Default Apple tree problem

In article , David W.E. Roberts
writes

Make sure that there is a large clear area of freshly turned earth around
the base of the trunk, and mix in loads of manure and fertiliser into this
area, then water it in.
Water regularly especially in a dry spell.
In fact, treat it like any other plant which you expect to give a crop of
fruit.

I thought when I read that 'I don't do anything special for any of my
fruit plants. I just leave them be and get loads of fruit'. That's why I
grow them - free food for no effort.

But then I thought - well I do spread my own compost liberally around
(well, I have to - I get so much of the stuff - it has to go somewhere
to make space for me to add next years weeds, lawn cuttings, veg waste
and cardboard boxes). And Yorkshire weather takes care of the watering!

Certainly the fruit drop can be caused by lack of water. The tree only
brings to maturity those fruits it thinks it can cope with and jettisons
the rest. Even high cropping trees get rid of a lot of apples during the
'June drop' - it seems alarming at the time, but there's still an
abundance in autumn.
--
Kay