Old 01-08-2004, 04:43 AM
Susan Erickson

Default Help for an amateur

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 13:45:26 -0700, "Erin \(Pacific NW\)"
wrote:

I'd like to add that here we call a person good with plants a "green

thumb"
and...before the Phal. I used to define myself a "black thumb", so you can
imagine...it must be a very "easy" plant :-)

Yes, we used to say my partner had a "black thumb" also, but he's done
really well with the one orchid we have :-)

If your doing well with that one, there are quite a few
intergeneric plants that have similar leaf structure and flower
spikes in that style. They would be good. I would guess you
have lower light, so Phal, or Paph might be something you could
enjoy. The $15 - $25 range is larger than you think. Generally
if you are buying at an orchid suppler and not a general nursery
or florist. it will give you quite a few choices.
Miltonia and its crosses are plants that most of us recognize as
coming from your area because a large breeder used to work in
that area.

SO:
Miltonia -
Miltiopsis
Miltassia
Miltonidium - and other varities starting MILT
Wilsonara
Colmanara
Vuylstekeara - lots of things that end in -ara.

The problem being the tags often only have the first 4 letters.
But if you want to try different things try a
Phalaenopsis - they often bloom for 3-6 months. And will start
blooming annually when quite small. They want filtered light -
generally softer light than the best for the -ARA type of plant.
They like to be just moist not wet, no standing water, but do not
want to dry out for several days.

The Paph or slipper style bloom is a beauty to some and ugly for
others... So you will have to decide if that is a plant style you
wish to grow.

Glad to have you two added to our group.

SuE