Old 01-08-2004, 02:32 PM

Default weeds and thatch

"Warren" wrote in message news:6M_Oc.190458$a24.139039@attbi_s03...
wrote:
Thanks for the detailed suggestions. It sounds simple enough. Are
you in fact saying that whenever I fertilize (new seed or old lawn)it
should be at a rate that is 1/2 to 1/3 of what is stated on the
package? And fertilizing as called for by Scotts, four times a year,
is not necessary?

If properly watered, and mowed, the clippings loft on the lawn to
decompose should provide nearly all the fertilization the lawn should
need.

Following the Scotts "program" can give you a nice looking lawn in the
short term under the right conditions because it emphasizes top growth.
What you get is a thirsty, chemical dependant lawn -- the sod equivalent
of a junkie. The more you use, the more you depend on it until you go
past the point of no return, and crash.

Scotts sells fertilizer and seed. Their best interest is in creating a
"program" that sells these things -- especially if it creates
short-term, nearly instant results. They aren't interested in telling
you how to get a great looking lawn that takes a year or more to happen,
especially if it doesn't sell more product. They'll tell you how to get
a great looking lawn in a few months, assuming you're committed to using
their products for the few years until it crashes. With any luck, you'll
convince yourself that it crashed because you took a shortcut from their
program, so you'll go out, buy Scotts seeds, and then start over again,
following the program for a short-term lawn, only to repeat it over and
over again. (And maybe you'll move to a new house before the big crash,
and you'll never know.)

Follow the method I outlined, and your lawn will look crappy the rest of
the summer. Next year will be a rebuilding year - it may look good, but
you might not win any awards. But two or three years down the road, and
the time and (especially) money you'll spend on your yard will be a
fraction of what your Scotts-happy neighbors will be spending, and your
neighbors will need to do major renovations multiple times before you
will again.

You'll also have fewer weeds. Weeds are plants of opportunity, and
they'll like those shallow-rooted, nitrogen filled, short-trimmed lawns
with lots of exposed soil surface better than they'll like a dense,
longer lawn, with composting clippings protecting the exposed soil,
which is often dry on the surface, but rich, loamy, and moist a couple
inches down where the grass roots are.

Oh... and I almost forgot something. I have a neighbor who waters every
day. He's got some interesting patches where the insects are hatching
their eggs, and eating the lawn. The constant dampness provides a nice
environment for them. They don't get that on my lawn.

Now I'm not totally anti-fertilizer. It has it's use. My lawn gets a
light winterizer fertilizer each year. I just don't believe that
following the Scott's "program" is the best way to care for your lawn. I
have nothing against their company, either. They have a couple of nice
seed blends for my area, and they put their name on some nice spreaders.
I hear they have some nice power equipment with their name on it, too.
They just have too much incentive to get you to buy fertilizer, and lots
of it.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Books for the Pacific Northwest gardener:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/nwgarden/index.html

WOW. Thanks for the help, it's really appreciated.