Old 28-07-2004, 02:04 PM
jojo

Default Garden paths

"Hans L" wrote in message
.. .
I have started to plan my garden by laying out paths (raking off grass and
moss). I now want to "permanent" the paths by laying down material that

is
like paver base (very finely ground stone material). I planned to

actually
use paver base (gray) and add tint to get, for instance, a rust color.
However, I think this would be a *lot* of work, so my question is, what
other finely ground *colored* stone material are there that could be used?

Thanks -- Hans L

Hans,
I have a wonderful suggestion. Crushed granite.
It is naturally the "rust" color your looking for. It is very durable stuff.
We use it here in Texas for
many applications from pervious driveways to garden paths. Almost all of
Austin's running trails
are made of crushed granite.

look at the 4th pic from the bottom (the one with the little dog) that is
crushed granite.
http://www.fbg.net/wsadd/Fredburg/217PTL.htm
this one also has some pics of crushed granite
http://www.stoneyisland.com/decorative.htm

The thing I really like about it is it looks almost like dirt...gives the
garden a very natural feel, but
it does not get muddy and does not wash out easily. Use the small size to
form a compact path that
is weed resistant.

http://www.cloburn.co.uk/landscape.htm
"It is free draining, impervious to frost action, and due to the inherent
strength of the granite, will not deteriorate with constant use."

around here in Texas, it is relatively cheap as well...$40.00 a ton.

Good luck!
jojo