Old 01-08-2004, 03:30 PM
William Brown

Default Help with moving perennials

When my mother sold her house to move to a smaller one, she got the
permission of the buyer to come back and remove some of her favorite
plants at the appropriate season. I think transplanting in the heat of
August is a risky proposition.

I don't know if you are selling or renting, but if I were buying a
property with a nice garden, I would not be happy at closing time, or
later, to find that the garden had been removed. On the other hand, I
wish the people who owned our house before us had taken their @#$
raspberry thicket with them.

FayeC wrote:
Hi,

I am moving on August 15th (have access to the plants until September 1st)
and after having invested a lot of time, energy and TLC on my garden I am
not about to leave all my perennial behind.....
I planted most of the perennials from seed and only had one flowering season
after 3 summers from most of them. That's why I am thinking of taking some
mature plants with me so I can enjoy their flowers next year instead of
growing them from seed all over again.
The thing is.....I never transplanted any perennial before. At least not my
own I mean so I have no clue of what to do to ensure both the root ball that
is staying and the one that is going live through it.
I would appreciate your help in learning the right way to transplant these
plants and also if this is the best time for them or not. Some are in full
bloom right now.....
The plants I am talking about a
Coreopsis (pink), Galliardia, Agastache, Cupid's Dart, Lupin, Blue Flax,
Clove, Evening Primrose and Snow in the summer. There are a couple more but
I don't remember their names as I got the seeds from a friend and she didn't
mark the packages.
I would like to leave some of the plants behind if possible as the garden is
very pretty as it is and I would like to leave some of it to grow next
summer. On the other hand if splitting the root system will cause the plant
to die then I rather take it all instead.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. I appreciate any tip,
link, personal experience you can send me.

FayeC

there.