Old 01-08-2004, 07:32 PM
Travis

Default Dahlia disaster!

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Travis" wrote in message
news
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 8/1/04 2:35 AM, in article ,
"Travis" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 7/31/04 7:17 PM, in article

,

"Vox Humana" wrote:

I planted some large dahlias this year using a support system that

someone

(here?) recommended. It consisted of tomato cages that had the lets

cut

off. You put the cage on the ground, large circle down, and fastened

it to

the ground with the wire legs that you cut off.

All went well for a while. The dahlia got to be about 6 feet tall and

were

covered with flowers. Last nigh we had a moderate storm with some big
gusts. One neighbor lost his Bradford pear (not that it was a shock).

The

wind broke off my dahlias about two fee from the ground. They are all

bent

over and pinched tightly on main stem. I doubt that they could be

uprighted

and live? Any advice would be appreciated. At this point I assume

that the

only thing I can do is cut them off at the ground and let them start

over.

I haven't done it, but my mom does and grandmother did - stick a bamboo
pole/stake and gently and frequently tie the stem to the stake. Gram

had a

supply of stakes up to 10 foot tall just for this problem; she grew

dahlias

competitively back in the 60's.

Cheryl

Be careful when sticking anything in the ground now, you don't want to
pierce the tubers.

I assumed he ( and most gardeners) would be smart enough to know that.

Cheryl

Obviously not. A smart gardener would have put a stake in when the
tubers of tall Dahlia's were first planted.

A ****REALLY**** smart gardener would not put an apostrophe in the plural of
dahlia.

Gardening had nothing to do with it. I'm a dummy when it comes to
punctuation and grammer.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington