Old 02-08-2004, 02:38 AM
Wil

Default Stella Dora Plants

"Bill Smith" wrote in message
om...
I know what a daylily is. What I am referring to is the smaller
version of the same type of plant. It is supposed to bloom all
summer. It looks very much like the larger daylily. I know the
larger one only blooms for a couple of weeks and dies off. Actually
any version of this plant is very easy to transplant. Very hardy.

Annette

There are daylilies that are very short with small flowers. They are not
all tall like the ditch lily. I could not find any other perennial with the
name Stella Dora. You have a daylily, Stella De Oro.

The reason your Stella De Oro is not blooming properly is because the garden
centers sell tissue cultured plants marked as Stella De Oro. Tissue
cultured plants are not always an exact clone of its famous parent and it
does not perform well. Also there are a lot of Stella De Oro look alikes
that are not the true Stella De Oro, not even tissue cultured from the true
Stella. If I were you I would take the plant back to the garden center
where you got it and demand my money back. They are charging too much for
that plant as it is. I sell daylilies. The most frequent question I get is
asking why their Stella De Oro does not bloom like others they have seen.
The problem seems to be getting worse. Probably because there are so many of
the so called Stella De Oro in the garden centers.

Also even the true Stella De Oro does not bloom all summer. It reblooms a
little, some zones more than others. When it gets to be a huge clump there
are so many scapes and flowers it takes a long time for the first bloom to
bloom out.

Also the Stella owner should realize they need to remove those seed pods
that form. The seed pods are the round pumpkin like things that form on the
end of the scapes after the bloom is finished. Any plant that goes to seed
will stop blooming. So after the first bloom is finished, remove the scapes
and seed pods right away. Keep your Stella De Oro watered well, and it
should bloom better for you if you do not have one of the fake Stella's.

Wil