Old 02-08-2004, 04:09 AM
Mr Titan

Default Watering Time

I was told by a lawn care company not to water until about 11am. This will
prevent over-watering (water + dew). Does this make sense???

-Bill

"Chet Hayes" wrote in message
om...
Of course the problem is with a reasonable size lawn and many zones,
it takes quite a while to water properly, not just a couple hours. I
time it so that it ends by about 8AM, when it's still cool and little
water will be lost to evaporation. If that means starting it at 2AM,
I wouldn't worry about it.

IMO, the idea that watering overnight is bad is over rated. After
all, it rains at night doesn't it? The biggest fungus and disease
problems come from watering too frequently, like every day, which many
people do. Do that at night and eventually you will have trouble.
Best practice is to only water when it needs it, and then to put down
about an inch. Given a choice, I would agree it's better not to leave
it wet longer than necessary, so I wouldn't do it in the early
evening, but if you need to start in the wee hours of the morning,
it's not a problem.