Old 30-07-2004, 04:04 AM
Warren

Default Newspaper as organic matter addition

Salty Thumb wrote:
Since newspapers are mostly cellulose, they will take a while to break

down
especially if packed against hard clay soil

I've used 8-layer newspaper in quite a few places around my yard --
mostly to expand existing beds and reduce lawn space, but in a couple of
weedy, overgrown, neglected corners as well. The soil in these areas
were hard enough that I didn't want to make an effort to dig or till.
Not excessively full of clay, but too compact to plant in as was. I
scalped any grass or weeds, placed the newspaper, and covered.

The places where I covered the newspaper with just bark mulch took about
a year for the newspaper to decompose into scraps small enough to not be
recognized as newspaper. The places where I covered the newspaper with
soil or compost the newspaper decomposed similarly in about six to eight
months. Because of oddly shaped beds, and liberal overlapping, I did
have some places where I had pieces big enough to discard (in the
compost bin) when I dug holes for planting.

Overall, I have to say that using newspaper has been the best thing I
learned from this newsgroup. It comes ahead of shredding leaves and
using them as a winter mulch only because that one was pretty obvious.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Books for the Pacific Northwest gardener:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/nwgarden/index.html