Old 30-07-2004, 11:14 PM
Alan Gabriel

Default A plague of plagues?

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

earlier in the year (and still, to some extent) we had a plague of

greenfly.
The leaves on the plums and apples were solid underneath with green

sucking
things.

Last weekend we were suddenly covered in ladybirds - just everywhere.
Presumably a sign that the first generation did well off the greenfly crop
and bred like good little predators with a super abundance of prey.
Glad to see them, sorry there were so many on the lawn - hope they
compost/mulch down well.

This morning the air is full of (I think) hoverflies. These look like
semi-transparent wasps. It almost looks like snow blowing horizontally,
there are so many. Sounds like it is raining when you go under our garden
tenty thing - all the flies bashing against the material from underneath.
Slightly worrying that they all seem to be heading West in a steady

stream -
where are they coming from and where are they going?

The larvae of the hoverfly eat aphids.

For years my Pyracantha was covered with aphids, the leaves would go black
and fall off.

Last year it was covered with hoverflies and clear of aphids. This year is
the best its ever looked.

My garden is swarming with hoverflies and not an aphid to be seen.

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.