Old 30-07-2004, 10:33 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Cuttings advice

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 05:35:40 +0000 (UTC), Franz Heymann wrote:

The newly rooted cuttings would fare better if they were potted up

in
a good potting compost as soon as roots are detected.

If by "good", you mean "rich", I'm not so sure that's good
advice. Too rich a compost may give the tender young roots
indigestion, so to speak. I root my fuchsias in perlite and wait
until they have a rootball about an inch or so through before
potting them on into something vaguely resembling JIP1.

Being the perpetual skeptic, I believe that to be an urban myth. I
have never seen or heard any real evidence that potting up a rooted
cutting directly into a potting compost is deleterious.

Franz