Old 02-08-2004, 04:31 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default Do day lilies have seeds?

"Natty_Dread" wrote in message
.. .
I'm growing several varieties of day lily this year, some Asiatics which I
planted as bulbs and a few varities of Hemerocallis which I purchased as
established plants. Two of the Hemerocallis plants, H. Flava and H.

Pardon
Me, have some blooms that never opened, and those bloom "pods" (for lack

of
a better word) have stayed green but are now hard. I broke one open to
check it out and found what looked like small round black seeds inside.

Are
these actually seeds that can be sown? I've never thought of lilies as
coming from anything except bulbs, but I guess the bulbs have to come from
somewhere also! Any ideas what these things might be? Thanks in advance
for any information.

Rhonda
Alexandria, VA
USDA Zone 7

You are confusing daylilies with true lilies. True lilies, like the Asiatics
(Lilium), are bulbs. Daylilies (Hemerocallis) are simply fleshy rooted
perennials. All flowering plants will produce seeds, whether they are rooted
or bulbous, but there is often a significant time lapse in achieving a
flowering sized plant from seed when it is typically propagated by other
means.

Plants MUST flower and those flowers fertilized to produce viable seed.
Since daylilies have such a short bloom life (a single "day") it may be very
easy to miss the blossoms, but for seed to form they most certainly did
occur. You can sow those seeds and, if viable, they will produce a plant in
due course, but you will get much faster results if you just divide the root
crown of the existing plants. True lilies (bulbs) can also be grown from
seed, but it is an extended process from sowing to a flowering plant and
Asiatics will multiply freely once well established.

pam - gardengal