Old 02-08-2004, 04:34 PM
Cereus-validus

Default Do day lilies have seeds?

Daylilies don't grow from bulbs. They are perennials and are not closely
related to true bulbous Lilies.

Since the individual flowers last only one day, the ones that produced fruit
must have done so when you weren't watching. You should let the remaining
seed pods ripen on their own. They will dry out and split open when they are
mature.

Yes, you can grow them from seed but you should expect the plants grown from
seed to look different from the hybrid parents and not all the offspring may
be worthy of keeping if the flowers aren't up to par.

"Natty_Dread" wrote in message
.. .
I'm growing several varieties of day lily this year, some Asiatics which I
planted as bulbs and a few varities of Hemerocallis which I purchased as
established plants. Two of the Hemerocallis plants, H. Flava and H.

Pardon
Me, have some blooms that never opened, and those bloom "pods" (for lack

of
a better word) have stayed green but are now hard. I broke one open to
check it out and found what looked like small round black seeds inside.

Are
these actually seeds that can be sown? I've never thought of lilies as
coming from anything except bulbs, but I guess the bulbs have to come from
somewhere also! Any ideas what these things might be? Thanks in advance
for any information.

Rhonda
Alexandria, VA
USDA Zone 7