Old 02-08-2004, 07:37 PM
Jim Carlock

Default diagnose brown leaves

Thanks, Ally.

Yes, I've read that it's used successfully as a preventive
measure and that other measures are needed for full
outbreaks. For some reason that slipped to the back of
my mind and I forgot about it. I'll have to try that heating
with a cayenne pepper solution. Them silverleaf whiteflies
are vicious.

--
Jim Carlock
http://www.microcosmotalk.com/

"Ally" wrote:
On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 02:57:14 GMT, "Jim Carlock" wrote:

. When I was looking for black spot help for
roses, I was doing searches for "black spot"+rose+organic
and I pulled up a link about the baking soda and cooking oil.

I've had pretty good luck using the baking soda/oil/water spray that
you described to control black spot on roses. I have also used it for
control of other funguses also. It seems to work better
preventatively; once I've had an all out fungus outbreak, it doesn't
work as well as other items (for example copper solutions seem to work
better to control blight on potatoes/tomatoes once there is an
outbreak).

One of the keys with not clogging the sprayer is to fully dissolve the
baking soda in a cup of warm water and then add that to the sprayer
and then fill with water (the trick being getting it fully into a warm
water solution rather than adding the baking soda directly to the
sprayer). It doesn't seem to precipitate out again when it cools.