Old 30-07-2004, 07:26 PM
Mark Blewett

Default Window sill gardening

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:31:12 +0100, bigboard
wrote:

Mark Blewett wrote:

I'm a relatively newcomer to gardening.. and looking for some
ideas/thoughts for someone who has no garden.. just 2 very large south
facing windows.

Over the last couple of years, I've grown in pots: various herbs,
tomato's, chillies and even had a go at some salad leaves/radishes
with mix success. As you may well already guessed.. I like food and
cooking and hence prefer to grow something that is edible!

Onto the question... in uk.food+drink.misc there was a part-thread
about peaches (and patio variaties).. which got me thinking (ok
hoping).. could these grow indoors? If not what would be a good choice
fruit for growing indoors in a pot?

Thanks for any ideas and thoughts would really be appreciated.

Regards
Mark
(An enthusiastic newbee!)

I don't know how big your growing area is, but I'd have thought a peach tree
would be a bit big.

What sort of size are the smaller (dwarf/patio) varities? BTW the
windows about 8" square and the room is approx 11" high... a
reasonable sized space. Apart from whether it would be a good
environment for peaches, anything grown is going to have direct
sunlight on one side only.. thinking about it probably not best for a
tree.. perhaps something less tree/bush like would be better.. a vine
perhaps, which could be trained around the window.. and still leave
space for the tomato's in the window sill.

What about some of the small citrus trees you can buy?
Fresh lemons would be very nice in the kitchen.

I did try to germinate a few seeds last year (from a shop bought
lemon), without success.. any tips? Has anyone tried these small
citrus trees? What varieties should I look at?

Thanks
Mark