Old 02-08-2004, 09:16 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default WAsps, wasps and more wasps

"Broadback" wrote in message
This year the wasps here are more numerous than I have ever seen. I was
looking forward to my first taste of apples this year, no way, the wasps
have had the lot. You risk life and limb picking the raspberries, they
are half way through my plums.

They have not started yet on my peaches. How do commercial growers
cope? Is there anything that can be done to protect fruit from the
blighters?

Control is by destroying wasps nests.
Next door has had one done, and I have just had a go at the second because
the entrance was accesible from our side.
With all due deference to those who point out that wasps are a generally
good thing on balance, if they get to be a nuisance or a pest which destroys
fruit&veg then war must sometimes be declared.

In our case their entrance was near to our balcony, so every time we try to
eat or drink there we have uninvited guests, and they have also started to
invade the house.

RIP (I hope).

Unlikely to dent the main wasp population, just make one small area more
habitable.

Cheers
Dave R