Old 02-08-2004, 09:22 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default A plague of plagues? - imported?

wrote in message
On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 13:11:05 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

snip

This morning the air is full of (I think) hoverflies. These look like
semi-transparent wasps. It almost looks like snow blowing horizontally,
there are so many. Sounds like it is raining when you go under our

garden
tenty thing - all the flies bashing against the material from

underneath.
Slightly worrying that they all seem to be heading West in a steady

stream -
where are they coming from and where are they going?

snip
According to the local news they all blew in from the Continent.

Which one?
In the Netherlands the wind has been north - north westerly for days
and besides there isn't a plague of hover flies here. The IJsselmeer
was covered in a carpet of dead greenfly in places last weekend. Do
you think they are the remains of a hover fly binge?

It is no good trying to hide behind statistics.
We all know it is your fault :-)

The local flow here seemed to be east to west, but then you usually get
onshore winds during the day.
Perhaps they swarm offshore at night from Belgium and the Netherlands then
catch the onshore winds in the morning for the east coast UK.

I blame the EEC and lack of border controls :-)