Old 31-07-2004, 06:55 PM
Peter

Default Pruning Lavender

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 13:25:28 GMT, frankie
wrote:

I have an old Lavender which has become thick and woody at the bottom
with all new growth + flowers etc. at the top - probably due to
overgrown surrounding plants preventing light + moisture.
How far can I safely cut it back and when would be the best time of
year to do it ?

Thanks for any help

For years we have cut back out lavender as soon as the bees find the
flowers to be lacking interest. In fact we did the job earlier this
week (we live in North Staffordshire).

Our technique is to use the electric hedge cutter and cut the
lavender back until we reach a mixture of old wood and new growth.
We normally cut about 10 inches off the top.

The same technique is used for top and sides, although we cut rather
less off the sides. Now have a rectangular section hedge which
looks a bit sad but which will bush out nicely next year - at least
this is what it has done for some 25 years.

Peter