Old 03-08-2004, 06:01 AM
Pam - gardengal

Default Raspberry problem

"Al and Lori" wrote in message
Can someone tell me why my raspberries which were half developed just

dried
up? The berries and stems turned brown in so many bunches but other

bunches
were fine. It's got me stumped. I have a timer on the sprinkler for each
night.

Did the entire stem with leaves dry up and turn brown or just the fruit?
Raspberries and most other members of the Rubus genus are susceptible to a
soil fungus, Verticillium wilt. Here's a link that explains the problem in
detail with a few, not so great photos:
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3027.html

FWIW, I've seen entire stands of raspberries wiped out by this disease in
just matter of days. Do not replant with the same crop.

pam - gardengal