Old 30-07-2004, 07:23 PM
R.Childers

Default Worst Disasters and Best Miracles

I had a Stanhopia that had the leaves turn black while all the psudobulbs
got brown and mushy. Nothing I tried seemed to help and after a month or so,
I finally wrote it off as a loss. At the time, I lived in New Orleans and
had a clump of banana trees in my yard. I tossed the orchid under the trees
and forgot about it. About a year later, I was clearing out the banana
plants to make room for a garden and there, growing among the dead leaves
and other mulch, was the Stanhopia. It had somehow survived the "rot", a
freeze over the winter (rare for NOLA) and periods of up to a month without
rain/water. Plus, the assortment of insect and animal pests that usually
enjoy my orchids had managed to overlook it. In fact, not only had my
Stanhopia survived, but it had a half dozen new leaves and several new
growths. That was about 8 years ago and I still have that plant.

Bob C.

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Anyone care to share stories about worst orchid-related disasters and/or
best orchid-related miracles? Or any other entertaining orchid stories for
that matter?