Old 31-07-2004, 02:36 AM
simy1

Default Slow ripening

"Bill Moats" wrote in message ...
Things are slow ripening here in NE Oregon with the exception of Stupice
which has been producing since July 1. Usually Stupice starts producing in
the second half of June.

ah. I buy everything from Territorial, which is in OR, and Stupice is
my early season mainstay. It is in full sun in SE MI, but it just
started producing, and in fact after five Stupices I picked the first
Costoluto and the first San Marzano (both main season toms). The Big
Boys are not far behind. The Brandywine and (much to my suprise) the
yellow pear are well behind.

I wonder why the Stupice do not get red tomatoes a full month ahead of
the pack, as they are supposed to do. They have not been anywhere
close to 40F, ever.