Old 03-08-2004, 01:54 PM
escapee

Default Greenhouse Idea ???

I bought a 10x20 foot from he
http://www.cover-it.com/residential/res_greenhouse.html

I live in Texas with the sun beating down, very high winds in winter and spring,
and mine is about 4 years old. I put it up in the fall and take it down in
spring and it takes about an hour or so once you get the hang of it. It's got
galvanized pipe, at least the one I bought. There is not top ventilation, but
adequate door opening and three windows with mesh to keep insects and birds out.
For the winter, I put a tarp down and attach it to the bottom so air cannot
enter through the bottom. I use a small electric heater on nights which go down
into the late 20s and it's enough to keep frost out of there. Keep in mind, I
live in USDA Zone 8b, and while we can get temps in the teens and lower, it's
very rare. If you live up north, this will not be a very efficient greenhouse.

BTW, I also grow lemons and winter them in this greenhouse.

Victoria

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 12:54:34 -0400, "chaz" opined:

I am considering making a small greenhouse, before I actually make the
plunge into something legit. I can buy a greenhouse locally for about
1100.00 which would be an 8x10 portable unit. Its like a storage building,
but with translucent fiberglass panels, no floor, and windows for
ventalation.
I am looking at making a 10'x10' x 3' tall stucture from PVC and clear
plastic. I know its not a greenhouse, maybe a souped up cold frame, but it
would be cheap. I thought I could string up some lights (4?) to keep the
temps out of the freezing range? I have some lemon trees I want to grow over
the winter and there are too many to bring in doors.

I would love you guys to shoot holes in this idea. I have ZERO
experience with a greenhouse.

chaz