Old 30-07-2004, 11:45 PM
betsyb

Default Orchid dealer arrested

"R.Childers" wrote in message
ink.net...
I was watching Kerry's acceptance speech on CNN (or maybe FOX News) last
night and there was an article on the news "ticker" that runs under the
program that an Orchid dealer had been arrested for illegally importing

and
endangered slipper Orchid. Does anyone know who or where it happened and
what the particular plant was?

Bob C.

This is posted below:
Independent Home | News | Sport | Argument | Education | Money | Jobs |
Travel | Enjoyment

Home News UK Crime

Britain's rarest orchid stolen from golf course
By James Burleigh
A rare orchid, one of only two growing wild in Britain, has been stolen from
the grounds of a Lancashire golf club, English Nature said yesterday.

The 80-year-old, purple and yellow, lady's slipper orchid, estimated to be
worth £2,000 on the black market, was dug up from a flowerbed at the
Silverdale golf club, near Lancaster.

Police are now searching the county for the missing flower, which has been
visited by more than 900 people this year.

Rob Petley-Jones, the English Nature site manager who has looked after the
orchid for the past 12 years, said there was only one other orchid of its
kind in Yorkshire.

Mr Petley-Jones said: "It's beyond price. People have known about it for
generations. A thoughtless act of greed or selfishness has taken it away."

The orchid was growing in an area classified as an official Site of Special
Scientific Interest. Keith Smith, the secretary of the golf club, said: "It
was in a quarry area and it is not easy to see or find at all. We have no
idea whether someone has done it deliberately or accidentally."

Also in Crime
Children to get jabs against drug addiction
Hobson lured twin to flat where sister died
Two men jailed for killing holidaymaker in car hijack attempt
Hard-drinking loner finds himself the centre of attention
Murder suspect deceived parents of victim in phone call

----

Legal | Contact us | Using our Content | © 2004 Independent Digital (UK)
Ltd

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.