Old 03-08-2004, 02:39 PM
Gary

Default Harvesting Garlic

"Seb Flyte" wrote:

What should I do with the flowers? Cut
them off to prevent too much energy going to them or leave well alone?

Cut them off and stir-fry if they haven't gotten too tough. This is pretty
late in the season, so I'm not sure how my American data travels across the
pond. Generally, garlic starts forming bulbs after the equinox. Harvest
when about half the leaves have turned brown.
Garlic competes poorly with weeds; this may not be important in your
garden, but it _surely_ is in mine!

(Let's just say that I plant the bright red Chard because it's easier to
find...)

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~gwoods