Old 03-08-2004, 03:22 PM
Edwin Davidson

Default Japanese Zelkova

I've always rented -- so this is somewhat new to me.

How does one properly water it deep? I have a sprinkler system over
the yard, so that would promote surface roots, right? I recall one of
my grandparents had a pipe in the yard to water the tree (not in
Missouri.,) but I have concreate like rock about 3-6 inches under the
soil everywhere, which makes it take a very long time to dig. It is
common to see bedrock near/above the soil here, though I am on the
side of a hill - so it is a bit looser than at my other grandparents
(it is solid rock most of the place there.)

David Ross wrote in message ...
Just water it deeply to prevent surface roots, and prune it to U
crotches instead of V crotches.