Old 03-08-2004, 05:47 PM
David Kotschessa

Default Don't feed the troll

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Wil wrote:

"David Kotschessa" wrote in message

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, zxcvbob wrote:

Wil wrote:
Some types of newsgroup posters get their jollies by disrupting a
discussion. It is best to not feed the troll with comments. Since I

have
finally identifed one such troll I have plonked him. If you don't feed
him
he will go back under his bridge.

You've got the right idea, but etymology is wrong. Here's an

illustration:

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame29.html

Bob

Hmm, but what is the etymology of the word trolling as it relates to
fishing? hmmm?

I'm just wondering if somehow it doesn't go back to the little dude under
the bridge anyway, in which case you'd both be right!

g etymology?

Oh, did I duplicate a typo? I know that there is a study of bugs and a
study of origins of words and I always get them mixed up!

{looks it up}

No way, that's right. hehe

Perhaps I should have said the trill will put his lure away
and go drown himself? :-) But the one of which I speak reminds me more of
the ugly creature young children are afraid of in Three Billy Goats Gruff.

Wil

I think they both work, IMO!