Old 03-02-2003, 02:39 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default Biobugs/nitrIte

Jan, I figured out the problem: cold water does not yield proper/true
results. Once I began to warm the tube of water before I added the reagents,
I received more accurate results. I don't remember having this problem last
year; maybe it was pure ignorance? All my other water parameters are "dead
on". The specifics you inquired about: pH is 8.2-8.4 AM/PM, steady. The KH I
keep around 200-215 because my Ultima II kinda likes higher KH. NitrItes, 0.
NitrAtes, 5. I haven't tested the GH lately, but it was 110 the last I did,
so it's OK. DO is max.

So, the answer appears to be to warm the water sample before conducting the
test. I also moved my test kits in from the (unheated) garage to the dining
room floor: cold tests kits don't work, either!

Thanks - Lee

"~ jan" wrote in message
news
Lee, even with your temperature swings I wouldn't think it would slow the
bacteria down that much. How's your KH & pH doing? Bacteria has an optimum
pH also. Do you have any BZT on hand to jump start the filter? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a