Old 02-08-2004, 11:54 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Help Construction=Dirty water!

potential health hazards of blowing dust. In the southwest, there is a
fungal disease called "valley fever" which is most often spread when dust
is raised.

Wow, the stuff one learns on rec.ponds, and silt fences were new to me too.
They recently did one on some local construction above a natural water way.
My reaction was, that isn't gonna hold anything back, but if they dug it in
as described, I'm sure it did and/or would have, had we rain during the
project.

The spores reside in the soil you see, and when dust is
stirred, so are the spores.

I live in a dusty area also, wonder if there is anything in Columbia Basin
top soil? I've lived here forever, perhaps I'm immune?

To the OP, regarding the "Charcoal" actually it is activated carbon, sorry
to be nitpicky, but when I see or hear it called Charcoal, I think, "That's
what goes in your BBQ, not your pond filter." ;o)

Activated carbon in a fish pond has a very short life span. I think it is 1
month if you use 1 lb per 400 gallons, using the premium stuff of virgin
coconut carbon. There is no way to clean it affectively, though power
washing and baking "supposedly" will extend it's life. The smell while it
is baking isn't worth the savings.

In your situation with a pressurized system, I think I'd go down and
purchase a small submersible pump and run it into a pot filled with the
quilt batting already mentioned. Type of pot I have in mind can be seen on
my website at the bottom of *My Filter* page. Enclose the pump in mesh
basket as shown on page 7, bottom right of *My Pond Photos*.

I sympathize with your situation as we went thru the same 6-9 years ago
right behind us, and we were downwind of all the dust/sand. Grit on the
deck/patio & furniture all the time. Luckily my filter did it's job, and
now days all the lots are finally filled with houses & lawns. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a