Old 03-08-2004, 11:31 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Harvesting Garlic

"Raymond RUSSELL" wrote ...
I usually plant garlic in late Oct / Nov
and harvest as soon as the leaves yellow and lie flat,
usually July.
I don't think I've ever left them to flower.

I'd be interested to hear what others say.

Our's has been harvested for almost a month and is now hanging up and dry
having been plaited by Sue.
It's true, some are smaller than others, but if you leave them in the ground
the heads will expand, split apart, and each clove will start to grow again.
The head will not grow any larger after the leaves turn brown.
Some Garlic does flower as part of it's growing cycle, but that happens much
earlier and I would think it should all be harvested by now no matter where
you live in the UK. (Stands to be corrected)

--
Regards
Bob