Old 04-08-2004, 03:36 AM
Laura Stanley

Default cherry trees in florida

NW FL (specifically, the western half of the "panhandle") has some locations
that get 600 chill hours.

I live in Panama City, FL, and according to the University of Florida, my
area averages 550-650 chilling hours per year. In the Pensacola area they
probably get a little more. (Although areas within a couple of miles of the
coast get substantially less than this due to the insulating effect of the
Gulf of Mexico.)

Unfortunately, some years we have very mild winters and get maybe half as
many chilling hours.

Supposedly the "Stella" sweet cherry cultivar takes 500-600 hours (depends
on which source you ask), so *in theory* it should be OK here.

I've talked to people growing "Stella" cherries in near-coastal SC (who also
get about 600 chill hours/year), and supposedly the trees do OK there. I
still worry about whether a cherry tree could survive the long, hot, humid
summers (and the resulting high insect and disease pressure) we have down
here.

I've been thinking about ordering a "Stella" and trying it. If I ever figure
out a good place to put it I will probably take the risk.

Meanwhile, I am enjoying my Saturn peach, which has a 400-hour chill
requirement and is bearing heavily. I am also growing 5 apple trees with
chill requirements ranging from 150 to 600 hours. The higher-chill varieties
are too young to bear yet (possibly next year, but more likely in 2006), but
seem very healthy and are thriving so far.

HTH,
Laura
NW FL - USDA Zone 8b

"Christopher Green" wrote in message
om...
"Jim Carlock" wrote in message

om...
Does anyone know if it's possible to get cherry trees growing
in Florida ? I've been reading that they require a frost to
become fruitful so I don't think they will grow any fruit, but
I'm willing to try. I've got some seeds that have been sitting
in the fridge for about two months that were taken out of
some cherries that were eaten. They've been sitting in the
fridge for two months in a cup of moist peat moss.

Cherries won't thrive without substantial winter chill. Standard
cherries such as Bing need at least 600 to 800 hours below freezing
every winter. (I think Rainier needs the least, about 600 hours.) I
don't know where in Florida you'd find such a location.

--
Chris Green