Old 04-08-2004, 04:03 AM
PHILIP ABRAHAM

Default help with algae identification please

Hi,

I needed some help identifying some algae growing in my tank. Ways to
get rid of it would be helpful as well.

Its dark greenish in colour, coats the parts of the gravel in the tank and
some of the plant leaves.
It looks like a dense web sometimes a bit stringy.
Has tiny bubbles forming under it.

Some stats on the tank.

1. Moderate light - 260W for a 135 gallon tank. The light is on for 12 to 13
hours a day.

2. Plants are mostly large Amazons and Anubias, with a few Wisteria and
Vals. No CO2 added.

3. Fish load is very light - 4 Otos and 2 very small SAE's. They are doing a
great job cleaning up the brown algae that coated the sides and leaves of
some of the amazons. They don't seem to touch the green stuff mentioned
above.

4. pH is neutral.

5. Once a week, I add 60 ml of "leaf zone" fertilizer, which is mostly Fe
and K.

6. I do not feed the fish as there seems to be plenty of the brown algae to
go around.

Thanks for your help.
Philip