Old 29-07-2004, 05:38 PM
Kay

Default Cuttings advice

In article , Rodger Whitlock
writes
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 05:35:40 +0000 (UTC), Franz Heymann wrote:

The newly rooted cuttings would fare better if they were potted up in
a good potting compost as soon as roots are detected.

If by "good", you mean "rich", I'm not so sure that's good
advice. Too rich a compost may give the tender young roots
indigestion, so to speak. I root my fuchsias in perlite and wait
until they have a rootball about an inch or so through before
potting them on into something vaguely resembling JIP1.

I usually start my cuttings in a pot (about a dozen to a pot) and wait
till I have roots through the bottom before gently separating and
potting up. I wouldn't say I had a good rate in striking cuttings, but I
have no problems at all in keeping them going once they have rooted.

--
Kay