Old 04-08-2004, 05:27 PM
David Kotschessa

Default Lazy Fly Trap

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, paghat wrote:

I've a few larger bug-eatin' pitcher plants that do well outdoors, & when
I clip out older pitchers, they're always stuffed with exoskeletons. I've
frequently been weeding or working nearby & heard buzzing inside the
pitchers. One that is very low-growing seems to have a decided preference
for earwigs & wood louses, while a toller one gets moths & flies & wasps.

But the idea that a wee indoor venus flytrap might catch flies all over
the house was, at best, a delusional hope.

I know...i KNOW!! {sobs uncontrollably}

Actually it wasn't really so much that I wanted it to take care of my fly
problem. I just thought it'd be a win-win situation. "You eat flies, I
got flies. Join the family!"

If you want to see it capture
its own food, enclose it in a terrarium or set a belljar over it, with a
few baby crickets (from the petstore) turned loose in the same finite
space, & you will see flytraps feed themselves just fine.

-paghat the ratgirl

Hmm, well, I don't have cable so...

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"