Old 30-07-2004, 09:03 AM
Doug.

Default Wanted Clematis.Vince.Denny in the UK

"Douglas" wrote in message

"chris" wrote in message
m...
I paid my biannual visit to Helmsley Walled Garden over the weekend
and noticed a new VERY nice clematis C.Vince Denny.

It was growing on an obalisk in the centre of the garden. After a
quick chat with the clematis man (very nice chap) I came away
determined to buy one.

Its still very new and my local centre (Beamish) deosnt have any.

Does anyone know of a supplier who actually has them in stock now

and
sells them at a fair price.

Chris

Will post images of the one soon as its very different form almost
anythig else I have in my garden (got about 20 types).

*************
Chris!.
If you find a source please let me know by E/mail. Another clematis is
called Sylvia Denny and there are a few more which I've forgotten.
I am sad to tell you that Harry Vincent Denny passed away last year.
He was part of the British Army that stormed the beaches of Anzio.
Later Station Master at Preston.
He was a world authority on clematis and travelled a lot lecturing, -
especially to Poland where there is quite a large fancy in the plant.
His Nursery is now closed and his wife has retired. It would be
improper for me to give details without permission and I am sure that
permission would be withheld from me..
Try the clematis Nursery at T.H.Barker Baines , Paddock Nursery,
Haverthwaite, South Cumbria. 015395 58236
They have quite a large stock, they are friendly people and personal
experience has told me their prices are reasonable and about normal.
BTW, He and I were very close when we were young. He was my well-loved
brother in those days, like two peas in a pod, and was born two years
before I was , we were a family of nine, which includes our parents.,
and it was my original enthusiasm which stirred his keen interest in
that breed of plant when we were both demobbed. His wife was equally
enthusiastic and put a lot of work into the business.
Doug.

I have tried to contact by e/mail http:www.thorncroft.co.uk but that
address is rejected. Does anyone know their business address or the
proper e/mail address - or better still their telephone number?.
Thanks in advance for any help accorded.
Doug,