Old 30-07-2004, 12:54 PM
Doug.

Default Cherry varieties

"Neil Jones" wrote in message
I intend to plant a number of fruit trees this autumn and I've been
doing a bit of market research into cherries recently, trying to

decide
which varieties to grow.

Stella is often mentioned as a good bet, so I was please to see some

for
sale at Sainsbury's yesterday, which I duly bought. How disappointing.
There was virtually no flavour and the cherrys, although large and

very
black in colour were far too soft for my liking.

They contrasted wildly to Colney which I got from Waitrose a couple of
weeks ago - again large and black, but firm and packed full of

flavour.

Is this typical of Stella? If so I'll avoid and go for Colney with a
suitable pollination partner.

Regards

Neil

***************
I grew a Stella for a few years . I don't remember it being a black one
though.
More like a pale pinky orange colour.
It wasn't a sweet eater and cropped badly. Mind you, - it was on its
tod among apples and pears.
They take a few years to get going you know. I have some plums here
which have been in eight years and they are doing only very slowly. One
of them has got one plum on it and the others about ten to fifteen,
whereas others - as usual do very well every year.
Doug.