Old 30-07-2004, 10:53 AM
Doug.

Default I have a cunning plan which cannot fail.....

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

bored with waiting for all my outdoor tomatoes to ripen.

I know just what willl happen - nothing, then thousands ripen

overnight.

So I have placed a plasic bag over a truss (please reassure me you

didn't --

get the same mental picture which just flashed through my mind) with a
single ripe (but split) commercially raised cherry tomato in the

bottom.

In theory the ripe tomato should give off waves of ripening essence

and
encourage the ones on the plant to ripen.

I am also considering another test using a banana skin, as bananas are
suposed to be kings of the ripening.

As a control, I suppose I should also just put a plastic bag over a

truss,
in case the mini-greenhouse effect is what speeds ripening (if it

does).

Anyone else tried this kind of thing (and still at liberty)?

Cheers
Dave --