Old 04-08-2004, 06:08 PM
Christopher Green

Default cherry trees in florida

Brad Snow wrote in message . ..
On 3 Aug 2004 15:02:39 -0700, (Christopher
Green) wrote:

"Jim Carlock" wrote in message om...
Does anyone know if it's possible to get cherry trees growing
in Florida ? I've been reading that they require a frost to
become fruitful so I don't think they will grow any fruit, but
I'm willing to try. I've got some seeds that have been sitting
in the fridge for about two months that were taken out of
some cherries that were eaten. They've been sitting in the
fridge for two months in a cup of moist peat moss.

Cherries won't thrive without substantial winter chill. Standard
cherries such as Bing need at least 600 to 800 hours below freezing
every winter. (I think Rainier needs the least, about 600 hours.) I
don't know where in Florida you'd find such a location.

Surprising to me. Wash D.C. has this much cold for their renown cherry
trees?

Those are flowering, not fruiting, cherries. There are quite a few
flowering cherries that get by on little chill. And D.C. is
surprisingly cold in the winter.

The cherries of D.C. are mainly 'Yoshino' (there are 12 varieties in
all planted there), which rarely fruits.

--
Chris Green