Old 03-08-2004, 09:17 PM
Evergreen Gardenworks

Default [IBC] composted pine bark

At 05:56 AM 8/3/04 +0000, Les linfoot wrote:
I have fairly often read in this forum about people using composted pine
bark as part of their soil mix, which leads me to ask how exactly does
one compost pine bark?

Les

Perhaps it's heresy, but I don't use composted bark, but rather the
freshest aromatic fir bark I can find. It seems pointless to me to use a
composted bark when what we are trying to do with soiless mixes is achieve
and maintain a large particle size. The major cause of soil collapse is
loss of particle size due to _composting_ of the organic portion. By using
composted bark, you are using a material that already has one foot in the
grave.

I have been using fresh bark in our nursery for over ten years, pallets of
the stuff. No problems yet.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++