Old 04-08-2004, 08:14 PM
William Wagner

Default Planting in "Woods" Like Setting

In article ,
Phisherman wrote:

On 4 Aug 2004 08:40:58 -0700, (Dawn) wrote:

About half of our new yard is under tall elm and oak trees. Although
the previous owner was fighting to keep grass growing under there we
are thinking of going with more natural plants and bushes.

I know azaleas and rhododendron grow naturally in the woods, any other
suggestions (we live in Zone 7)?

TIA,
Dawn

I planted pachysandra several years ago in the woods. It did nothing,
despite mulching, fertilizing, and weeding it. This year I cleared
off some large branches and now it is taking off. Lilly of the Valley
is doubling in size every year. I have several varieties of ferns
growing and just planted sweet woodruff two weeks ago which is growing
fast. English ivy is doing reasonably well. Honey suckle is growing
in the wooded area, and I keep pulling it out. I think azalea needs
part sun to grow and bloom, although there are varieties that grow
well in shade. I'd like to try growing ginger, as I know wild ginger
grows in natural wooded areas around here.. E. TN, zone 7.

Wow what to add to Phisherman??

Japanese Maple, perhaps a few periwinkles along with Hosta big and
small. Elegant and Northern Exposure come to mind regarding the larger.
hosta. Buy one and divide if you got the time.

One other item ...Hamamelis 'Primavera' aka Witch Hazel.

Have Fun

William(Bill)

William(Bill)

--
Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade Earth sometimes.
There is atleast one word misspelled deliberately in the above post. )